Thursday, June 16, 2005

Broke

I edge closer and closer to a life of crime. I am tired of having no money. And by "no money" I do not mean I can't buy a car at this time, or can't invest in the stock market, or no vacation this year-type "no money."

Now, I do get paid on Friday, which means I'm better off than many Americans, but in the meanwhile I have $2.76 to my name. Or, rather, I had $2.76. Margaret Dodge lent me ten bucks at Rev. Jen's AntiSlam earlier (unbidden, mind you, simply as a result of listening to my constant broke-ass bitching. Unpleasant as it is to bitch, it must be more painful to listen to).**

Anyhow so Margaret raised my total net worth to $12.76. This was pretty neat. I have a Metrocard, plus some saltines at home, so really, $12.76 was gravy.

Then, as it happens, the L train was out. Train trouble is rough on us poor people, y'all. I'd taken the C train from Tribeca to the L at 8th Avenue, and found there that the L was just cancelled for the rest of the evening. (Editorial note: MTA employees really don't wanna hear people whine. Or talk.)

So I walk over to the JMZ atation down at Delancey, blocks and blocks further than if I'd walked there from the Antislam itself, and wait a half-hour. Then some drunk thug teen gang starts hassling so I have to murder them and flee the scene***, and then had to take a cab home, which, because of the fucking traffic on the Williamsburg Bridge (traffic consisting mainly of cabs, seeing as how there was no L train) cost $7.50. And I didn't even take the cab all the way home! I had them drop me on the corner after my exit off the bridge and walked from there!

So, I have been on my way home, from two miles away, for two and a half hours. Had I just gotten a cab home from the open mic, it'd've taken fourteen minutes. But it woulda cost like three more dollars too.

But I guess this story is pretty uplifting, in that after all these transportational shenanigans, my current net worth is $5.26, which is still $2.50 more than I had before I was lent ten bucks. Plus, actually, come to think of it, Tom Nevin gave me a DVD of the first episode of Deadwood tonight also.

I'M LIVIN' THE DREAM, Y'ALL!

**Margaret: thanks, dude. Had you not insisted I maybe wouldn't'a gotten home at all.

***Okay, um, the teen harassers are true, and I did flee. But no, I didn't really kill anybody. I just wanted to sound like a badass for a second, because the rest of this post made me sound so so so so so so so so so so so so sad.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo -- I owe you money for keeping the furry ladies alive.

4:25 AM  
Blogger sarahfisch said...

Oh, stop it. Y'all are nice. But I'll be ok tomorrow. What I need is a well-paying job. I'm working on it.

1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christ, Sarah. I know this ain't a cry for help, but, really, I can lend you money if'n it'll save your life. Then, of course, you'll have to be my slave.

7:18 PM  
Blogger sarahfisch said...

Seriously, y'all, I'm ok. Got paid today. Then again, Anne, how much would I get for being your slave? And does it involve watching a lot of TV?

6:46 PM  
Blogger miss wendy said...

I don't owe you any money but I certainly owe you! Cheering me up requires constant effort and I appreciate the great job you do!!!

9:53 PM  
Blogger sarahfisch said...

I did get a job, themoney&thefame but I'm still broker than hell. Once you're really fucking broke, it takes a long time to climb out of that shit. Oh man, your rent situation gives me the heebie jeebies. While I haven't been EXACTLY there, I can totally see it from where I am. That is fucking nuts.

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home