Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Eric

I CAN'T SLEEP.

This is what's keeping me awake:

I am thinking how Eric, the homeless guy in front of Kellogg's Diner, looks a lot like Jamiroquai, but with more lesions. I don't feel I'm outing Eric by describing him in this manner. He knows he has lesions. It's a big topic of conversation with him.

I don't know what the lesions are, exactly, but sometimes he's on antibiotics for them.

Eric's also a strict vegetarian (his opener, almost always: "Ma, can you spare a miracle for a veggie burger?") and a seriously devout Buddhist. He once stayed at an ashram in India for months studying Sanskrit texts. I think this is actually not bullshit. He has a great story about that ashram--how one morning he was outside the barracks thingy where the yogis slept, leaning against a wall taking a shit, miserable with dysentery. His friend crouched likewise pooping, and comiserating. As they squatted there, a monkey strode out of the woods into the ashram's courtyard. Paying them no mind, the monkey deftly turned on the courtyard's water faucet and drank from it, like any five-year-old kid in the suburbs. Cute, right? So Eric and his friend laughed.

The laughter insulted the monkey, though. He quit drinking, stared them down for a horrible second, turned off the faucet, and charged at them. All screechy and arm-waving and what-have-you.

The moral of this post?
You tell me.
Go on, tell me.
Because I've got no idea.

5 Comments:

Blogger LORMO said...

The moral of the story is don't insult monkeys.

3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He with pants down is wise to delay monkey ridicule.

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to you
happy birthday to you
happy birthday dearrr Saarahh
happy birthday tooo youuuu!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lilly crawled in bed with me this morning and wispered,"I know what today is... It's Sarah's birthday!"
We love you, have a wonderful day.
Annie, Lilly, Wilfrid, Mia, and Doko( he's in NYC and will drop by later)

6:47 AM  
Blogger sarahfisch said...

Thank you Annie!!
I'll keep my eye out for Doko. He should be easy to spot, really, being green.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Quite an interesting story... I concur with relaxlove's post.Dropping logs with a pal in a court yard is deserving of a monkey attack... you should shit farther away from the yogis

8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home