Thursday, January 05, 2006

2006=2005, redux? (Don't think that).

Sorry for the very long lag in posting, Barbara, but Happy New Year!

How were your holidays?
Did you get an XBox?
I hope you had a good one.

My holidays were like something out of Kafka!
A very Kafka Khristmas, that's what I had.

It all started on Tuesday December 20th, when, after walking to work from Brooklyn during the first day of the transit strike (about an hour and a half), I was called into HR and summarily FIRED! For what? Absences. I had 5, 3 for my brother's wedding, and 2 from a respiratory infection. One one of those sick days, my boss even sent me home from work. And I'd notified her about Alex's wedding during my interview. But HR didn't wanna hear that. The smiling HR lady just kept repeating that I was on a 90 day at-will probation pending full-time employment, and they have the right to fire me for any reason. Or none. It was a heavy scene, man. I did not make a scene, but there were tears. It actually came down to this kind of dialogue:

Me: But those absences were authorized! And had I known this would be the result, I wouldn't've taken any at all--
HR lady: It doesn't matter now.
Me: But it doesn't say anythign about no absences allowed in my orientation packet!
HR lady: Well, technically we don't need a reason.
Me: What about if I get a doctor's note?
HR lady: No.
Me: But what about--
HR lady: Nuh-uh.

So I left my boss a message when I got back from my firing imbroglio, and hoped against hope that I would hear something from her along the lines of "WHAT!? HR can't just fire my assistant out from under me! I authorized those absences! I'm calling University Fucking President Bob Fucking Kerrey!" I also called the admissions office, having just gotten into the BA program, and was panicked because no job equals no free tuition and hence no BA program, and they told me to sit tight, maybe it was a screwup and to wait to hear from my boss after the University re-opened after the New Year, and also I called my Teamster rep, who told me sadly that the 90-day at-will clause means AT WILL, and that until my Teamster status was cemented after that 90 day period I'm at HR's mercy.

The walk home to Brooklyn on the 20th was pretty bad. As were the next few days, hoping I'd hear that it was all a mistake. And being back in Texas for Christmas was both awesome and, you know, FRAUGHT WITH TERROR. I've been going over it and over it in my mind, the whole dilemma, since 4 pm on the 20th. Like this: ...why, but my boss gave me a TOTE BAG on the 19th when she left, and said "see you on the 5th!" Surely she wouldn't've given permission for me to go to Texas for the wedding if she'd known it would impinge on my employment! I wonder why she hasn't gotten in touch. Probably she's engaged in PASSIONATE ARGUMENT IN MY DEFENSE RIGHT THIS MINUTE! Please, God, let me the enter the writing program like surely You intended. I can't even collect UI. I have seventeen dollars in my bank account. Am I gonna end up homeless?

And I didn't hear anything further official til today, just a few hours ago, when I called my boss on her first day back from the holidays. And it would seem it's out of her hands. HR rules the world. I guess at least I'm not in limbo about that anymore.

School has yet to be resolved, I'm gonna meet with admissions, and with financial aid, and my parents have offered to help. I so badly want to go to school. I guess we'll see what happens.

Anyhow, happy new year, Barbara.
Wish me luck.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All kinds of luck are being thrown your way from my part of Brooklyn. That really really sucks. I know, that's not news, but it is empathy. And that's almost as good as a newscast starring Katie Couric, right? Damn the HR!

Would it help if I wrote your (former) boss and told her how much you helped me that time I was looking for a draft of Andrei Voznesensky's "An Arrow in the Wall", and you found the only copy left, which was buried deep in the archives, and you knew it would mean you'd be behind in your work, but you couldn't stand to see a needy poet in need, especially when it comes to late 20th century Russian poetry? 'Cause I'll do that. If it'll help.

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boo, I say. Boooooo!

2:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah, I feel so bad about your job loss. You've been treated very unfairly. Should not have happened.
I say boo hoo.

3:36 PM  
Blogger PRan said...

Dear Sarah,
Really sorry to hear what happened. When I went through it, I thought It'd turn alright at the end of the post & was shocked to see it is not yet...
It seems really unfair to receive such a treatment from the HR & to know that you knew nothing about it is really disheartening.
Wishing you all the Luck for this ugly chapter to be closed in a happy way. Pls post ASAP of any good developments. We are waiting eagerly, hoping best things to happen...
It's nice to see you keeping your head streight in such a crisis situation.
Hope it will turn out OK & will get the job & your BA soon...

6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was thinking about you the other day, and I didn't even know you had this blog. Then I happened to see the link in girlbomb's blog.

That post made me very angry on your behalf. WTF! And after all you went through with fecking St. Martin's and the asthma. They've got a nerve.

I hope this all works itself out. It is Kafka-esque.

5:54 AM  
Blogger lightbulb oven said...

un-fucking-believable. the hell? i'm aghast. fucking bureaucracy.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Margaret Dodge said...

I would like to know how many people have filled that position in the last few years and how long they've lasted. It could be a revolving door scam.

I want you to go to school too.

I'm so sorry.

1:07 PM  
Blogger lightbulb oven said...

i used this temp agency when i came to nyc 5 years ago . . . they specialize in placements in publishing. they're small and kinda dingy, but i know penguin and scholasti use them (that's where i worked, at least): Eastern Professional Temp Svc 38 W 32nd St # 1302 (212) 465-0700

6:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

get some loans and some financial aid and some help from the fam. you can do it!

you can take personal loans too.

I am sorry about the losing the job thing. the entire scene with the cold ass robot woman sounds familiar. this is why I cant function right in 'society."

good luck! I know you will do it!
in financial aid there's a wonderful woman named Patricia you should deal with, if you can!

11:13 PM  
Blogger miss wendy said...

Can't you offer to have sex with somebody for Christsakes!! Sorry for your troubles.. and acres of Australian luck .. enough to cover inland Australia .. and Texas too

5:49 AM  
Blogger Grantley said...

Sarah, don't forget that the HR woman (and her chain of command) is just an ape. Just a frightened, hairless ape that has done to you what she fears will be done to her. She's grunting over her patch of ground, throwing rocks and feces at all who approach. How sad that she will be successful and no one will come near. Try and remember that since you are not an ape, but an alien intellegence on a study mission, that they will often find cause to fear you, but try as they might, there's really nothing they can do but brandish, howl and throw shit.

6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home