Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Life changes-a-go-go!

No, I'm not going through menopause. My girl parts, damn their pink hides, are all still charging full steam ahead.

What I did do today, though, was turn in my completed application for the B.A. program in creative writing at the New School. I'm a little freaked out with impressitude at my derring-do, here, y'all. I filled out all kinds of tricky forms, and got my transcript from my long-ago University of Texas career (kind of an ordeal, by the way-not the acquiring of the transcript, which was a piece of cake, but the attendant emotional bushwa. I considered sending it to the New School admissions office without even looking at it. I was NOT a stellar student those last...several...semesters. One of the courses I got an F in, incidentally, was The Artist and American Culture. Another one I flunked was Spanish, which, as my then-professor remarked, is ridiculous because I speak Spanish! En realidad, hablaba mucho mas mejor en 1995 que hoy dia, pues, en 1995 yo hablaba hasta por los codos--seee???)

I also wrote three essays. Do you guys remember college application essays? I swear to God, they about killed me. I think I'm slightly mentally afflicted from the effort, which is why my verbiage and bad grammar on this particular blog post is so out of hand. One was basically about who I am, what I want from my edumacation, and what I'm gonna do with my edumacation from now until I die. Another one was about a book that changed my life, explaining how, and why, and blah blah, and the third asked me to design my own degree program and justify every detail. I'm paraphrasing. Anyhow, they were hard, and were made much harder by the fact that I was convinced that if I messed them up AT ALL, I would end up a sad, unaccomplished little nobody living under a bridge.

But so anyway, my application is finished, and I even walked it over to the admissions office myself. LIFE CHANGE #1!

Cambio de la vida numero dos
(see? more Spanish!) is that I got fake nails yesterday. Not super-long ones, they're quite short. I am pretty enthralled. I got some kind that don't have the crazy chemicals--they're like slightly glorified Lee press-ons. They were pretty cheap. We'll see how they last. If they do pretty well, I may consider upgrading to longer ones with stencils.

Fake nails have been on my mind a while. Right before I interviewed for this job at the New School I got a vey conservative manicure on my very short ugly never-grow-long nails. Shell pink. Very corporate. I sat in a row of white girls receiving pretty-much-identical manicures, and I suddenly wanted more out of life. Tropical scenes! Holiday themes! I wanted URBAN HANDZ. And I may yet have them. What I have right now, really, is suburban Texas wedding handz.

And WHY do I have suburban Texas wedding handz, Barbara??
It's because of LIFE CHANGE NUMBER THREE! My brother Alex is getting married on Saturday! I'm hading down to San Antonio for the shindig, and I'm pretty pleased about it.

Here's Alex is at age two. Excuse the lousy photo quality, it's a cel phone photo of a framed photo on the wall at my parents' house.


Wasn't he cute? He liked to chew on the picnic table and cry. He also loved to wear a big red vinyl hat everywhere and make up rock and roll songs about his fictional girlfriend leaving him. Here are the lyrics to his big hit:

OH MY GIRLFRIEND
SHE LEFT ME
AND I MISS HER
SO MUCH
COME BACK, BAYBEH!
COME BACK, BAYBEH!
COME BAAAAAACK..
OH BAYBEH!!
DA NUUUH NUHH NUHHH!!!

He was a very sweet little guy who grew up into a very sweet big guy. He rarely makes up rock and roll songs anymore, but he does a fantastic original dance to the Sabbath classic Iron Man. My brother is all that is good about Texas, to me. Here he is as a grown-up:


He looks cranky there, but he wasn't. We were at the beach, which he loves. I think he was maybe philosophizing, or thinking up new dance moves.

He's marrying an awesome girl he's been with for over five years. Meet Celeste Trevino Fisch-to-be:

Celeste is smart, funny, compassionate, good at sports and cards, has the most infectious laugh ever, and fabulous hair, none of which you can discern from my bad cel phone photo of her. We all love her like crazy and she loves my brother like crazy. She even took up golf. I have great faith that she'll never occasion my baby brother to sing sad rock and roll songs about her.

3 Comments:

Blogger chartreuse velour said...

wow! sarah's brother! cute and handsome. but more importantly, what does your dress for the western-themed wedding look like?

10:08 AM  
Blogger miss wendy said...

way to go sarah... enjoy yourself and well done you on putting in your application.. sounds like an enormous effort!! Goodness here you just have to put your name on the application (and have the required grades).. )

12:50 AM  
Blogger lightbulb oven said...

"Anyhow, they were hard, and were made much harder by the fact that I was convinced that if I messed them up AT ALL, I would end up a sad, unaccomplished little nobody living under a bridge."

which, by the way, is completely what will happen.

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home