Friday, September 23, 2005

Five years of kicking my ass, one week of making up for it.



this is an audio post - click to play


Just so's you know upfront, y'all: this post is hideously self-absorbed.

Anybody who's lived in New York can tell you the same old chestnut. "New York is expensive. Hot in the summer, cold in the winter. I'm ignored by the powerful and harangued by the crazy. Many are prettier, famouser, talenteder, richer, or saner than I, while others frottage me on the L train. I am always running out of socks, hope, and money! What's more, daily, whether I mean to or not, I see at least one dog taking a shit. Never the same dog twice. Never the same dog twice!"

...Actually, I don't know why that should bother me, the never-the-same-dog-twice thing. Why should I want to watch the same dog shitting repeatedly? Because it would mean that I would have an ongoing relationship with one dog, rather than brief, nasty street encounters with anonymous dogs?

Anyhoo, New York, New York, big city of dreams, after five years of beating me senseless, just gave me a hot, lickery kiss. I've landed a job at the New School, as Assistant to the University Librarian. I found out Tuesday. Y'all, I've been trying to get a job at the New School for TWO YEARS. My first interview for a position was in August of '03. I've applied for 48 different jobs since, and have interviewed for four. My friend Noel says at this point they would've had to either hire me or get a restraining order. Decent pay, excellent healthcare and vacation benefits, and FREE TUITION. I'm about two semesters shy of a B.A. So I start my job on Wednesday, then will fuckin' MATRICULATE! (oh my God, is that the right word?) in January. I'm scared, but it's a new, fun brand of scared; opportunity is knocking, and it's startling me somewhat.

Some other cool shit happened to me in the last week, too, stay tuned for CELEBRITY DIRT! (Preview blind item: what dirty-toofed former Austinite was seen coked up and wearing a ginormous shearling coat in ninety degree weather recently? Hint: it wasn't me.)

(TECHNICAL INTERRUPTION: OK, so, I tried to link to the theme song from Mary Tyler Moore, up there. I couldn't find a page that just played it when you linked to it, though, so I audioblogged it by downloading it to iTunes it then played it from my computer speaker into my cel phone. If you, Barbara, can find me a link to that song, let me know in the comments. I know it sounds like shit in the audioblog. I know, I know.)

9 Comments:

Blogger chartreuse velour said...

i always thought "matriculate" meant "graduate", but i think i was wrong.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=matriculate

anyway, it comes from the latin "matrix", mysteriously.

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! (Never underestimate the power of manicures.)

1:45 PM  
Blogger miss wendy said...

Hey ms Fisch it couldn't a happened to a more deserving person..more deservinger than other New Yorkers! I oncewas a nanny for a woman in Western Australia who was a New Yorker ( she had a Phd or two and wrote a book on parenting while I looked after her children). Good news, and the dog..well ... what can one say, never the same hey! curiouser and curiouser.. warmth and light to you

9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lilly says," You must be quiet in a Library Sarah... and don't forget to wear your hat!

9:32 AM  
Blogger Grantley said...

Congratulations. You know, I'm going to apply to the Noo Skool for the MFA program. So, this time next year I could be all like, "Hey Sarah. Oh my God, it's so nice to see you. Which class? Oh, yeah, I heard that professor is crazy. You'll love it. Well, I just got to check out this book and run. Yeah, I'm living in the sewer, they keep the lid ajar until dusk and if I'm there a minute late, I'm S. O. L. You know how it is. OK, kisses. Drop by later, we're having soggy box for dinner. Ciou!"

Of course I'll never get into the New School, and if I somehow did I'd never get an assistantship, and if I did I'd have a heart attack and die, so what's the use?

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats, sarah! a j-o-b and an edumacation sounds like a great opp. had fun friday. AND rita just lovetapped texas. must repeat the beer thing.

oh, and regarding the rant thing, am looking for idears to update:
http://geocities.com/mojokitty_ny

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to know who the former Austinite is! I must know!

1:58 PM  
Blogger miss wendy said...

Actually in retrospect not so much warmth and light .. 'cos it's hot isn't it. So warmth only from the glow of your own self esteem and light only dappled through large leafy trees.

7:33 AM  
Blogger sarahfisch said...

Thanks so much for the good wishes, y'all.

Hee. Tomorrow is my first day. I'm nervous.

And Grantley, how much would I LOVE it if you came to NYC and went to New School! It's be like grad school plus the awesomer aspects of eleventh grade! Just keep your soggy box to yourself, dude.

And Kenneth: I'm afeared to "out" the ex-Austinite, in case he really is coked up and has a lawyer. Or maybe he's just manic as all git-out, and maybe dangerous. But I will say that he has appeared in two movies directed by another Austinite, and in those movies he's pontificating constantly to a lovely French actress who, the viewer keeps thinking, is totally out of his league.

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home