Monday, February 13, 2006

Still in the Ramping-Up Process, Clearly

Why, hello!

How are you?

School is proving to be quite a challenge, in an excellent way. I have to read the first 6 chapters of Faulkner's Light in August before Thursday. I've never read any of Faulkner's novels, just "A Rose for Emily." In that story, (spoilers! Look out!) a lady secretly keeps her dead boyfriend in her house. Awright! So I have great hopes for Light in August. We just finished Look Homeward, Angel. If you're looking for a densely imagistic bildungsroman, I recommend it. Thomas Wolfe does terrific descriptions of food, ghosts, drunks, and melancholia. He refers to Greek mythology quite a bit, too. My Southern Modernists professor, Dr. Bernardete, recommends Googling classical references, and said on Thursday: "O lucky moderns! In my day you had to get up and go to the library."

My favorite new word from Spanish class: mediocalvo. It means "going bald." The other students in my Spanish class are fun. One guy and his pregnant wife are taking tango lessons in order to improve the baby's rhythm. Another guy, somewhat older, plans to retire to Chile in three years, and among his favorite topics of Spanish conversation are fishing, fistfights, and taking people hostage.

We had a huge snowstorm in New York last night/this morning. I went out and took a good long walk in it today, but I forgot to take my phone-camera with me. So here are some fotos of random recent subjects.

Bar on LES is possibly named for unknown distant relative.









Graveyard, Queens. I held my breath while taking the photo, just in case.










I don't know what this great big vulture on a hydraulic lift thinger was for, but I was very impressed. It was on Union Avenue in Williamsburg near McCarren Park.


Apparently it's for sale. I don't know whether that means the lift thinger, the bird, or the whole shebang. Anyhow, I doubt I can afford it.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, I love Faulkner. You're in for a treat. And, as usual, love the photos.

7:23 AM  
Blogger lightbulb oven said...

i LOVED Light in August. It blew my tiny little mind. i'm jealous of your matriculation; it sounds so FUN

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mario da dinero al empleado mediaculpo.

4:49 PM  
Blogger sarahfisch said...

Do what, now? Mario gives money to the half-blamed employee? What are you trying to tell me, Barbara? Who is this Mario?

11:52 PM  
Blogger Crystal said...

maybe the bird is actually selling something. did you ask him?

11:41 AM  
Blogger sarahfisch said...

Dang, Crystal. I didn't ask anything. I shoulda at least got a photo with the phone number.

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sarai
I love that you are in school...I am so proud of you. Talk at Christmas still fresh in my mind and you sound like fisch in water.
Would love to visit again. I have never been to a blog before so forgive the nerdy prose.
I loved school and could have been a professional student.
Bye for now
Dot

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that bird kinda scares me. I think it wants to have sex with a human and have mix breeds. It's not to be trusted, that bird. some statues/things have spirits. bad bird!

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home