Monday, April 25, 2005

103, 000 Women Locked Up

There are 103,000 women currently locked up in prison in the USA.
2.1 million people are locked up in prison, total.
Using the most recent Justice Department data, the Justice Policy Institute found that last year two-thirds of those 2.1 million were incarcerated for nonviolent offenses, representing the first time in American history that more than one million (1,185,458) people were confined for crimes involving no violence.
It costs 2x the amount to incarcerate women than men, mostly due to the cost of caring for incarcerated women's children.
It costs 22k a year to imprison a person in America (but I didn't catch whether that means a man or a woman).
American taxpayers pay 2 billion dollars a year to keep people in prison.
These statistics come from CNN.
Which I watch to reaffirm my belief that America is a very troubled place.
Now look at this photo I took of that statue in Union Square of the lady with the kids.
Who the hell is this lady?
Do any of y'all know?
Tell me.
What is she meant to represent?

union sq lady

Help me with my mental burdens, o Barbara.


(Note: I edited this post from earlier and added the Justice Dept study statistic)

4 Comments:

Blogger miss wendy said...

Is she there as a reminder to look both ways before you cross the road? I stubmled onto your haiku on JeffMac's page.. love your work!

5:02 AM  
Blogger AFM said...

I heart Sarah Fische (whose name I finally learned to spell.)

6:54 AM  
Blogger LORMO said...

Maybe it's just a tribute to baby mamas in NY.

12:59 PM  
Blogger sarahfisch said...

I think you're both right, Lori and Miss Wendy. It's a NY baby mama saying WATCH OUT.

And marsha, you KNOW there's NO E in FISCH.

There is, however, an E in TEAM, so I'll let your little spelling fuckup slide this once.

xoxoxo

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home